Administrative Assistant 2 (DOH3958)
TUMWATER WA 98511
**Administrative Assistant 2**
**About the Position**
The purpose of the ASC Section is to develop and support coordinated state and local systems to improve access to health services and information, increase health equity, and improve the health of individuals and families.
The Healthy Starts & Transitions Unit (HST) within ASC supports healthy starts for all children, including children and youth with special health care needs and their families. The unit supports a wide range of health and developmental screening initiatives and intervention strategies, diagnosis and treatment, and complex care coordination activities provided through local health jurisdictions, other state agencies, and health programs and plans. It also works to assure that all Washington State children and youth, including those with special health care needs have the opportunity to achieve the healthiest life possible and develop to their full potential.
This position provides administrative and staff support services for the HST unit with delegated authority to act in supervisor's absence in certain areas. Support will be provided to the Program and Child Health and Development Program Managers, and 12 HST professional staff as well as providing backup for other ASC administrative positions. This position also coordinates office functions and serves as the initial point of contact for HST to the public.
This is a full-time permanent Administrative Assistant 2 (AA 2) within the Division of Prevention and Community Health - Office of Family and Community Health Improvement - Access, Systems & Coordination Section in the. This recruitment may be used to fill other AA 2 positions within the unit.
Learn more about PCH.
**About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives**
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, _visit the DOH website_ and _DOH Infographic (PDF)_.
**DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:**
* We are **committed to** **diversity and inclusion**. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve. _Watch the DOH "Diversity is Rising" video._
* We have an engaging **Wellness@Health** program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
* We support a **healthy work/life balance** by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending on job duties.)
* We are making exciting steps towards **modernizing our workplace **by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers. _Take the DOH Workplace Modernization Virtual Tour._
* We have an _**Infant at Work Program**_ that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending on job duties and work location.) _Watch KING 5's Drew Mikkelsen report on the Infant at Work program_.
**What will you be doing? - Duties include:**
* Providing direct administrative support to HST program managers, including coordination and maintenance of scheduling calendars and appointments for HST program managers.
* Serving as liaison between HST program managers and other team members, transmitting assignments, requesting status information, calling attention to deadlines, and obtaining progress reports.
* Independently planning, organizing and prioritizing administrative tasks and projects to support unit's work.
* Creating, revising, and organizing/maintaining the central and high density filing system, including electronic files for programs.
* Participates in planning and conducting Healthy Starts and Transitions Unit team meetings.
* Reviewing, compiling, formatting, editing, and proofreading complex documents intended for external and internal distribution.
* Coordinating meeting logistics for statewide meetings and scheduled events for HST in collaboration with program managers and team.
* Serving as a software/hardware technical resource the team.
* Coordinating and facilitating travel for Healthy Starts and Transitions program managers and team and ensures reimbursement for expenses.
**What we're looking for**
**REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (NOTE: Experience may have been gained concurrently.)**
* Two (2) or more years (full-time equivalency) of progressively responsible experience providing a broad spectrum of office administrative and/or secretarial support, including:
* One (1) or more years (full-time equivalency) of experience compiling, formatting, editing, and proofreading complex documents intended for external and internal distribution.
* One (1) or more years (full-time equivalency) of experience providing editorial expertise for grammar, punctuation, word usage, content, structure, readability, and adherence to office standards.
* One (1) or more years (full-time equivalency) of experience effectively using independent judgment to resolve complex issues and problems, and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
* One (1) or more years (full-time equivalency) of experience working with files and records management systems.
* Two (2) or more years of experience working successfully within a team that shares work responsibilities and helps each other to achieve goals and deliverables; including experience in the following:
* Promoting cooperation within the team and establishing and maintaining effective relationships with co-workers and customers.
* Maintaining an open, approachable manner.
* Treating others fairly and respectfully.
* Demonstrating a balance between building rapport and completing assigned tasks.
* Demonstrated experience in the following:
* Effectively communicating orally and in writing with diverse audiences.
* Accurately entering data and/or keyboarding at 40 or more words per minute.
* Intermediate-level experience using MS Word to create, format, and edit tables, columns, and charts; import data and sort table data; insert and format sections, and create headers and footers.
* Intermediate-level experience using MS Excel to create and manipulate large or complex spreadsheets, use complex mathematical formulas to calculate data and link worksheets; import data from other sources, filter lists, and create and format charts and graphs.
* Using MS PowerPoint to create, format, edit, and run slide shows presentations, including previewing and printing slides, speaker notes, and handouts.
* Using SharePoint to organize shared documents.
* Using MS Outlook to compose, send, and respond to e-mail and to coordinate schedules and schedule meetings.
* Using the internet as a research tool to search and download information.
* Using web conferencing technologies.
**Preference may be given to candidate who have the following DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (NOTE: Experience may have been gained concurrently.)**
* An Associate's degree or higher.
* Three (3) or more years (full-time equivalency) of progressively responsible experience providing broad spectrum office administrative and/or secretarial support.
* Demonstrated experience in the following:
* Assigning, tracking, and overseeing the work of other staff.
* Working with State Records retention schedules and archiving policies and/or procedures.
* Working with state procurement/purchasing procedures and/or policies.
* Working with state travel requirements and reimbursement procedures and/or policies.
* Using MS Visio, InDesign and/or other design software.
**Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions**
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
* Work indoors, at a desk/workstation the majority of a work day, in an open office environment with possible conversation and other noise distractions.
* Work in a tobacco, drug, and alcohol free environment.
* Occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends, to meet program needs and critical deadlines.
* Occasionally travel which may include overnight stays, as required, while performing the duties of this position.
* Work in a fast-paced/stressful environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
* Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle OR provide alternative transportation.
* Move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
* Interact and work with customers, some of whom may be frustrated or distressed in a positive, friendly and supportive manner that meets the needs and standards of the office and the agency.
* Participate in emergency response activities and when the Agency Coordination center is activated.
**Note: ** This position is covered by an "Agency Shop" provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent of this position must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of the date you are placed into pay status.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Skyler Jones at (360) 236-4408, Skyler.Jones@doh.wa.gov , or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Individuals interested in applying for this position should select the "Apply" button and submit the following:
1. A current detailed applicant profile; AND attach your detailed Letter of Interest that addresses the "Required and Desired Qualifications" (as listed above) and Resume to your profile.
2. Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised other staff) a subordinate.
3. Responses to the Supplemental Questions.
****IMPORTANT: DO NOT**__ attach transcripts OR other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. **VETERANS**, please feel free to attach a copy of your **DD214**.
**Click here to SUBSCRIBE to Jobs at DOH**
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process and Supplemental Questions in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
**NOTE:** Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
*Salary:* $2,535.00 - $3,276.00 Monthly
*Location:* Thurston County - Tumwater, WA
*Job Type:* Full Time - Permanent
*Department:* Dept. of Health
*Job Number:* DOH3958
*Closing:* 1/17/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
*Agency:* State of Washington
*Address:* View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
*Phone:* View Posting for Agency Contact